Find Local Food
- A Buyer’s Guide to Regenerative Food From Rodale Institute.
Food Producers and Markets
- Shepherdstown Farmers Market, typically open on Sundays from 9 - 1. Winter hours from 11 - 1 and biweekly instead of weekly.
- Charles Town Farmers Market, WV - Home. A seasonal, weekly gathering of farmers, consumers, bakers, kids, musicians, artists, athletes, non-profits, business owners, city and town representatives and interested citizens. (304 579-0924) Charlestownfarmersmarket@gmail.com
- Community Garden Market, 207 S. Princess Street, Shepherdstown, WV 304 870-4230 Organic and natural grocery store with fresh seasonal organic and natural fruits and veggies. Chef owned, deli delicatessens daily.
- Bushel and Peck Food Market, 100 W. Washington Street, Charles Town WV 304-885-8133. Fresh locally grown or produced products.
- Thread in the Web Find many more local food and gardening resources on this extensive community directory.
- Food Fix: how to save our health, our economy, our communities, and our planet-one bite at a time, by Mark Hyman, M.D. Little, Brown and Company: 2020. A hard-hitting manifesto that will change the way you think about -- and eat -- food forever, and will provide solutions for citizens, businesses, and policy makers to create a healthier world, society, and planet.
- The Local Food Revolution: How Humanity Will Feed Itself in Uncertain Times, by Michael Brownlee, North Atlantic Books, 2016. Based on the hands-on work of the author in working to create a local foodshed, this is a candid look at the possibilities and challenges as well as practical advice to engage in such a project.
Movies and Audio
- The Doctor's Farmacy with Mark Hyman, M.D. Zack Bush and Mark Hyman see an ever-increasing burden of chronic disease, primarily driven by our food and food system. In these podcasts they consider radical ways of fixing the health care and food systems. Especially important episodes: